|RESPIRATORY THERAPIST contract need in EI Dorado, KS|
1. Administers routine therapy such as EZPAP, gas nebulizer, oxygen and aerosol therapy, etc., as ordered by
the patients physician and assigned by supervisor.
2. Charts all therapy administered in patients EMR. Will fill out appropriate paperwork for services performed.
3. Responds to all emergency situations requiring the services of the crash cart. Actively participates in
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation procedures.
4. Performs oxygen therapy rounds and services equipment in use. Maintains accurate record of oxygen services
5. Performs arterial punctures for arterial blood gas analysis. May perform radial, brachial, and
femoral puncture. May draw blood from an arterial line.
6. Runs blood samples through the blood gas machine and co-oximeter.
7. Works directly and monitors the critically ill patients on mechanical ventilators.
8. Monitors patients with a pulse oximeter.
9. Performs cardiology procedures such as ECGs, Holter monitors, event recorders.
10. Manages an artificial airway which includes: Manual ventilation, placement of an oral airway, placement of
a nasal pharyngeal airway, suctioning, intubation, extubation, trach care, changing trach tubes, re-taping and
rotating end tracheal tubes, analyzing cuff pressures.
11. Transport patient to and from treatment area by wheel-chair or cart and transfers to or from wheelchair
or cart as needed.
12. Maintains records of the location and condition of equipment in need of repair.
13. Returns discontinued therapy equipment to department. Disassembles, cleans, maintains, disinfects,
reassembles, and stores equipment in compliance with established procedures.
14. Maintains patient records and reports in the department.
15. Completes daily charges and statistical analysis and forwards to data processing.
16. Maintains patient confidentiality.
17. Attends department staff meetings and development programs for personal and professional growth.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
19. Performs routine spirometry testing.
20. Inserts arterial lines.
21. May instruct various groups on the function and use of Respiratory Therapy Equipment.
22. Assists in maintaining the procedure manual for respiratory and cardiology procedures.
23. Assists in orientation and training students, technicians and therapists.
24. Performs extensive pulmonary function tests.
25. Supervises activities of the department as delegated by department manager.
26. Serves as consultant to physicians inquiring about Respiratory Therapy Services.
27. Assists with billing and insurance information as indicated.
28. Performs cardiac stress test procedures.
29. Assists with Bronchoscopy procedures.
30. Monitors patients during a Bronchoscopy procedure.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must have graduated from an AMA accredited school of Respiratory Therapy. Must be Registered by the
National Board of Respiratory Care.
A minimum of two years experience is preferred. Experience may be gained through educational
and clinical experience.
Must possess a Certificate of Registration through the National Board of Respiratory Care as
a Registered Respiratory Therapist. Must possess a certificate of Registration from the
State of Kansas as a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
Code Blue Training:
A minimum training level of BLS is required. Neonatal resuscitation training is required.
May require occasional sitting. Requires frequent standing and walking. May require lifting,
pushing, and/or pulling up to 50 lbs. and carrying up to 20 lbs. Requires handling and lifting patients.
Requires manual and finger dexterity; eye-hand coordination; occasional bending, twisting, stooping, kneeling,
climbing, reaching, and/or grasping. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. May require
working under stressful conditions and irregular hours. May require being exposed to communicable diseases,
hazardous materials, sharps, and body fluids. Requires the use of office equipment such as computers, telephones,
Work is predominately scheduled for eight hour shifts, but some twelve hour shifts may be required.
Required to work weekends, holidays, overtime, rotate shifts and take call. Must meet hospital dress code.